All of New Zealand's state and state-integrated schools have a board of trustees. The board of trustees is the Crown entity responsible for the governance and the control of the management of the school. The board is the employer of all staff in the school, is responsible for setting the school's strategic direction in consultation with parents, staff and students, and ensuring that its school provides a safe environment and quality education for all its students. Boards are also responsible for overseeing the management of personnel, curriculum, property, finance and administration.
At the start of the year the decision was made to focus on six areas of priority over the coming year.
- Working with the school management to develop a Master property plan (including community liaison processes)
- Overseeing school self-review processes (including working with the learning advisory committee)
- Consolidating Board processes and updating the Trustee Handbook as required
- Developing a communications plan for the Board so there is more of a connection between Board activities and our community.
- Developing processes so the Board can review its own performance.
- Taking responsibility for the Principal's appraisal.
Enrolment Scheme 2019
In order to avoid overcrowding, or the likelihood of overcrowding, and to ensure that in zone students from Western Porirua can be accommodated, the board of Mana College has adopted an enrolment scheme which has been approved by the Ministry of Education. Under this scheme, students will be enrolled if they live within the home zone described below.
The northern boundary runs from Mana Island around the coastal area of Titahi Bay North. The boundary around to Onepoto Road and continues along both sides of Titahi Bay Road. Where Titahi Bay Road meets Wi Neera Drive, the boundary continues along Wi Neera Drive then goes across Porirua Stream to SH1 and then runs down SH1 down to the Porirua and Wellington Council boundary. The Southern Boundary runs down Kenepuru Drive. Wall Place is included with in Zone, Rembrandt Avenue is not in zone. Broken Hill Road and all addresses off it are in zone. The southern Boundary then follows the Porirua/Wellington Council boundary to the coast. The scheme then runs out to Mana Island. Mana Island is in zone.
The enrolment of out of zone students is governed by the provisions of the Education Act 1989. The enrolment scheme, which includes a precise description of the home zone, may be viewed at the school office or on the school website www.mana.school.nz
The enrolment scheme for Mana College will come into effect at 9am on 1 January 2019.